Welcome to STROKELAND. I'm Phil and I will be your guide across this blasted landscape . I first entered STROKELAND through the spouse entrance; when a brain bleed brought my beautiful wife here. Two years later I arrived through my own entrance by suffering a massive stroke on JUly 29, 2014. Please join me and my journey through this alien place. It will be interesting to see where we end up.
About Us
- phil
- When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.
Sunday, 26 July 2015
A MILLION MILES AWAY
, YOUR SIGNAL IN THE DISTANCE.......my brain or what is left of it has taken on a new role in the grand scheme of Phil , never having been the strong , trusted leader type , but it certainly had opinions and its own way of doing things . these days it is an interpreter , having lost many of the old lines of communication it searches for new signals , communiques from the alien limbs it does not recognise once a quick and efficient system , easy to understand , to read., what used to be bursts of brain code each carrying hundreds of pieces of info have become the blasted static of frantic random bursts , hundreds of them each thread of which is thrumming with an irritating urgency pulling the poor damaged brain in hundreds of different directions at the same time, maddening to experience , it teases all of my nerve endings at once, irritating them into waves of pain . angry pain that assaults the dilapidated brain relentlessly , night and day , every second of every hour of every day the offending leg , which is gaining momentum and support in it's long campaign , enlisting both the left arm and even my face in the war effort . and it leaves me exhausted , each assault taking a toll on my feeble attempts at fortification . my enemy , the foe that seems intent on my destruction is my own body , angry I'm guessing at the idiot who's bad decisions almost killed us all and that , my friends , that very fact is what will breach my defences first, the knowledge that the determination and strength I count on to build the walls is being used to batter them does terrible damage , my emotional state is suffering wounds of my own doing , my limbs move and react to commands I cannot hear , treachery from within. some radical faction has seized control of my remaining brain and it's spies know my weaknesses well. as I type , waves of overwhelming sensation assault me from the leg , as tiring as pain, they gain support on my left side as they march northward , yes I just said that I am getting too much feeling from my paralyzed leg , I know how that sounds but it reinforces the belief that has been anchored in my mind for a year. I AM NO LONGER ME !!! and so should we meet along our paths , forgive me if I act oddly , if I talk to my limbs or yell at my brain . Phil still lives here but he's not managing the place , just another tenant , trying to avoid eviction. now I'm heading down to the lobby to see who's names are on the other mailboxes... later Phil.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment