About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Sunday, 19 July 2015

Phil on Wheels.

..................well anxiety level , you heartless bastard ! , you robbed me of sleep and peace of mind for many nights for absolutely nothing. I was afraid , terribly so , that the problems presented by my disability might be a source of stress , worry and even embarrassment for my loved ones at the first of 2 big family weddings this summer.

 Yesterday it was the wedding of my beautiful niece , a wonderful girl who has always embodied one of my families greatest gifts , our sense of humour , and due to the efforts of my sister , who planned things out so well for those of us with mobility issues and of the amazing Dar who eased my tumultuous mind and helped make everything else presentable , I was able to attend and enjoy the beginning of a strong and loving marriage, my worries were ridiculous and unfounded and were sent to skulk away until  I attempt to sleep before my son's upcoming wedding , things were fine , I did the car transfers relatively without incident, got around on all that grass pretty well , the weather behaved , oh there was a moment there that a few drops fell , but I'm sure that the weather gods could feel the waves of "you better not !" from every woman present , you could almost hear it. it went perfectly the look on my niece's face reminding me of the day another beautiful , hopeful young woman said "Ido" to me , . it was a great ceremony and a lovely and comfortable reception , time spent with family old and new , and old friends , a cousin who has always been a little brother to me , an event made extra special for Dar and I as it took place a day before the 1st anniversary of my son Coryand daughter Shannen , a wedding I am still re-living and enjoying today . and dear fellow survivors the key ingredient that defeated my apprehension and fears , was not my strength or will power or confidence it was a force greater than all of those , FAMILY , the love of family made things work , I'm gonna sleep better next wedding (I hope )I have no idea if there are any chapels here in the wilds of strokeland but if there are thats where you'll probably find me a lone figure on wheels surrounded by the best and most beautiful people imaginable....Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment