For 5 long months , in hospital I was able to shower (with assistance only once a week, having an accessible shower in my home was a dream and were it not for my darling wife's efforts it would still be a dream , but she got it done , and beautifully too.
For years I showered myself at the beginning and end of each day and I've missed that. But my dream has a dark lining , the shower chair I have is difficult for me. Prolonged sitting in any chair but my wheelchair sends my left thigh into unstoppable and terrible painful spasms . It's like a full body spasm, all muscles tightened to their limit and at the end of it I am physically exhausted.
One of the most relaxing moments for me has become one of the most painful , I have a shower planned this morning and I am terrified; scared shitless of the pain ; it will take over my whole day .
It's hard sometimes to fight the "stay positive" battle , when the pleasurable moments are taken from you , but now the old stubborn me kicks in , "I have to take showers or all the work to get the bathroom renovated was a waste " not gonna happen. my goals these days are more in the low impact , I hate causing extra work or stress for those around me Well there we go , shower is all done , lived through it but damn I am hurting , a lot and the only form of treatment , that will make my pain stop is essentially unavailable to me right now , through trials on our own , the beautiful Dar and I have found a soloution.
I am here before you , a living breathing piece of proof of the fact that politicians want kept from you MARIJUANA WORKS my friends after the first attempt I went from mid-spasm to pain free immediately , the offending muscles relaxed right away and the relief was wonderful. I am becoming so fatigued by pain , it rules my life and the pills , the painkillers and muscle relaxers dont work. No effect but messing up my internal organs , massage is pointless , havent tried acupuncture yet but you'd probably have to get me high to try that .
smile emoticon , I have spoken with my children and told them my reasons for this new direction , to my doctor , my mom , I want to still make my impact minimal ( very important to me )and not cause embarrassment or awkwardness , I just want to say bye -bye to the pain and the exhaustion that travels with it. the answer I received from my doc and my loved ones was a unanimous "if it stops your pain , go for it !"and I am . so I will try not to preach or try to refrain from ramming this down the throats of the survivors out there , I know me and I can be pretty annoying (I saw that da:) the fact that to end my pain , I have to put my friends and family in danger of prossecution is criminal , as is denying a truth to those out there who suffer through unbelieveable pain , it is wrong. I think I always knew it was wrong but I didnt raise my voice until it affected me personally bothers me , the fact that I was not only blindfolded but that I allowed it to happen is offensive to me , now I'll never shut the hell up later Phil
Welcome to STROKELAND. I'm Phil and I will be your guide across this blasted landscape . I first entered STROKELAND through the spouse entrance; when a brain bleed brought my beautiful wife here. Two years later I arrived through my own entrance by suffering a massive stroke on JUly 29, 2014. Please join me and my journey through this alien place. It will be interesting to see where we end up.
About Us
- phil
- When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.
Saturday, 27 June 2015
Pain Management
Labels:
anger,
awareness,
doctors,
family,
fear,
frustrations,
medical mariguana,
pain,
strength,
struggles,
survivor,
treatments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment