About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Institutional Availability


· 
The most completely useful piece of information that I learned during my long hospital stay came from my beautiful wife.  It makes perfect sense when you hear it outside of the hospital but it sounds like a royal pain in the ass while you are a patient , and it is simply "go to physio" , make yourself available each and every time those sadistic bastards invade the quiet of your nice restful room. 

Disturb the marathon viewing of the "cops" show on TV , whatever , as much of a long and hurtful intrusion it may seem to be . Get up, accept the challenge, tackle any new activity suggested and if I may add a bit of my own advice, insist that the therapists keep you involved and informed during your recovery. if you know what is expected of you , then help to make it happen I recall being told (or overhearing) that I had to start getting my quads to engage to further the progress in the walking I was starting to do , I went back to my room determined , got on Google and looked up quad exercises . did them through the nights that sleep eluded me and smiled to myself all day when the new range of movement in my leg surprised everyone in the gym.

 I knew that if I applied the same stubborn tenacity that had always gotten me through my work days , to my recovery , that I could get things moving at my pace and not someone else’s , that I could be involved, be just like I used to be; be in some form of control.  Again I am going back to my unique situation and relaying how beneficial it was having Darlene there to coach me , but she would give this same advice to everyone within hearing distance , the scared , some of the older ' fiercely independent residents of the ward I was in after hearing them say no to physio or any activity . "You can still be independent, take control of your situation” great advice for an immobilized control freak let me tell you.

 I have now hit the wall as far as the therapists in the hospital are concerned and I will soon be having to take on the challenge of getting Phil better myself, I will succeed I have Dar and my stubbornness, but I owe it all to that amazing bit of advice and so I pass it on in a much less sweet and loving tone of voice. "Get up, Get motivated, take back control over your recovery and your future just say yes "GET UP...Phil McCoy








No comments:

Post a Comment