About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Taking Inventory

If you, like me are an obsessive member of the human race your mind craves answers. tidbits of information upon which to build a foundation of fears and worries , a direction for the suggestions to avoid trouble to take , to start a new file of things that could go wrong , well fellow survivors it's not coming , get used to it.

the phrase I have come to know and expect as I have become very familiar with it is "well , that problem is very common to stroke victims but everyone is different . " now I want answers , facts , I am only really happy when I feel I have prepared myself for each and every disaster that may occur
But the folks who have the training and experience refuse to lock down any scenario that is likely , I don't blame them for this , I wouldn't want to commit to a certain outcome either , and as a patient I tried .

 A common conversation went, "based on the years and years you have been at this job, what can you see happening in the near future?” I was never successful in this line of questioning. I have a great deal of respect for therapists , for the commitment that working through the body's repair process every day must take , it seems unbearably slow to me and I have only had to do it this once personally , and once with my darling wife , and I have worked with some excellent people; one of whom has been through this with both Dar and I .

 So get used to the frustration , there are no guarantees , what has been the case many times over and over can be shattered by your will , by your stubbornness , there are several other bits of peril for you to obsess over coming your way , you won’t be bored , if I have any single piece of advice to give for the scary landscape you now find yourself stumbling through it is "when you have a long journey to undertake in a land that is foreboding and unknown , the most helpful thing that one can have is a guide who has been there before , who knows the way. I have my Dar, my secret weapon, my protector and my hero at my side, fear has no power over me anymore, there are other guides out there, other survivors who walked where you are walking to help yourself I was to have to answer the question" how did you survive?" someday I will say "I travel in great company" from somewhere out there, Phil.


No comments:

Post a Comment