June
20/15
Aaaahhh!
memories, lately I am confronted by feelings of warm and fuzzy nostalgia as I
watch my sons beginning their lives as husbands , watching them go through
experiences that will be the foundation of their marriages , their lives .
Years ago my parents told me how important those early days were in setting the
tone of things to come , that first tiny apartment , rickety old sofa or in our
case , a tired ol bed , that bed was a sad thing , sagging so much in the
middle that we slept for years pressed together at
the bottom of the dip , the first queen sized bed we bought seemed huge
afterward , we felt so far away from each other , a treasured memory that old
bed , the kids are having days like those , setting up homes , learning to live
together , getting pets , building the foundation , makes me miss old times and
relive my own youth.
My boys learned a valuable lesson growing up , they
followed the example so perfectly set for them , their mom , and they each
married or will be marrying , strong, beautiful women , they will all be as
well taken care of as ol dad The first time I ever brought my beautiful Dar
home to introduce her to my parents .
I remember my dad fixing me a few times
with a steady , "how do you expect to carry on a proper relationship with
this girl with your unemployed ass ?" at one point mid-meal he asked the
woman I was trying to impress if she wanted a bun (there was a basket of crusty
rolls on the table in front of him , Dar said "yes please" and dad
picked up a bun and tossed it across the table at her . my angel deftly caught
the hurtling roll snatching it out of the air and with a flash of a bit of
stink eye and a slightly confused expression on her pretty face , my delicate
little flower hauled off and threw the bun back , we all burst out laughing but
the looks on Dar and Dad's faces was priceless , she wondering what kind of
weird family I had and him looking both confused and delighted , it was the
moment that I first realized that they liked her more than they did me , dad's
glances from that point on were different , turning more towards "I get
why you like her , I do too" . It meant the world to me . that was the
moment that Dar became a McCoy and it's another of those wonderful formative
memories. For me those early apartments and dilapidated furniture carry with
them the sound and the essence of the kids as they grew feelings of wonder and
amazement of the years learning to be a parent, a husband, a man.
No comments:
Post a Comment