About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

The Sun in my World


She sits in her chair frustrated , so much work to in the house ,out in the yard the laundry the dishes , no one helps or appreciates how much she has done to surround them all with a beautiful , organized , functioning place to exist . She is tired, the phone in her hand is silent for a moment, it’s not just the people near her that need her help. his appointments need to be kept  , the world needs to keep turning so put your back into it there's work to be done .

He sits on the bed behind her , senses her frustration and walks quietly up behind her and in a loving way hugs her tense shoulders , kisses the top of her head and whispers in her ear, "it's ok we'll get it done , I love you" There it is , that moment is what my brain is aching for . the ability to give her what she gives him, the love, reassurance and the reminder that the bond is still strong, the burden is shared, "you are not alone " I had the ability but maybe not the knowledge to be that man once, I shouldered my share and had a spare caring hug and a whisper whenever required, she has always been that way, an injury to her overtaxed brain couldn't stop her she is and has always been strong enough for them both.

 After the stroke the question started to pop up in conversations more and more often "Are you depressed?" doctors, nurses, therapists, always with the same, it's for your own good smile on their faces. It has become a question I asked myself often, wondering if the waves of emotion that wash over me constantly were an indication of the condition, but Google says my incessant tears and emotional hills and valleys over little things is common to folks like me, some deal with it for decades before finding the right pharmaceutical cocktail to even it out.

 while I have certainly asked myself why I came back from the fog to my body and the overwhelming feeling of inability and uselessness and I feel the guilt of not being there to pull my share of the weight, I do not feel depressed, not despondent and fatalistic, I am not "in a bad funk “I have my diagnosis, I am well aware of this condition, I AM REALLY PISSED OFF!!!I

 I resent my cowardly brain for abandoning ship before it had sunk completely, I hate not being able to stem the flow of tears, I need to walk over to this person who is my partner in this crazy life and tell her I love her and kiss her head "you are not alone “I need to be a man again, not for me but for her, for them, the kids, to be someone who can make a difference again. Sure some of this is some jerk feeling sorry for himself I say , hearing my own running commentary going in the background , but it’s also some jerk who is feeling the weight of his own responsibility and is struggling with how he can meet his obligations . 

With how he can do that in this, incomplete, in effective body. How do I help her? These are OUR problems OUR obligations OUR row to hoe. I have begun the search for help mentally and may have to resort to correcting pharmaceutically, but the real work to be done here is to find a way to arrive at that place in my own thoughts, within that damned cowardly traitorous brain, I am up to the battle I will have to endure to walk again, to play guitar again but this one is a hard one and it means opening doors that I wanted to keep locked, It may take awhile. I will be back to this safe place regularly, opening the doors and stirring up the shit, ranting like a crazy old man. Honey , I may not be completely the same person and I'm not standing behind you right now with my arms open , but "you are not alone" and "I love you" , back soon , Phil


No comments:

Post a Comment