June 26/15
It's been on my mind
(or what's left of it ) lately ; "where did I picture myself being a year
after the stroke ?"
We are coming up to that anniversary ( I hate giving
it a festive or celebratory title ) . Yesterday I got up , got into my chair ,
rolled into the washroom and shaved and brushed my teeth and hair ( different
brushes ; and had a morning appointment with
occupational therapy.
Then I wrote a bit and took off; a short road trip to my
mother's house to say hi ! Not a far trip , but a solo one , which is rare
these days as I always have my beautiful Dar with me. A year ago these things
were not part of my daily routine . I am the kind of person who overthinks
doing new things , envisions the activity , the challenges and obstructions ,
prepares for what may go wrong , developes alternate routes and scenarios .
Surprise is not my friend . I had , in my dreams , made the jaunt over to mom's
several times , obsessing over where the sidewalks were , where I'd have to go
on or off the road to the point that if any of those things were not as I'd
dreamed them I would feel a spike of panic , but all was as dreamt and it was
pretty close by so it went quick.
Had a nice visit and gave my buddy Phil ,
who's been pissing me off lately a gift of being able to say "Well , not bad
for a year in ! For quite a while I felt the easiest path to the Phil I once
was started at stubbornness and obstinance , detoured through attitude and
arrogance , and did a stopover in bullheaded junction , but I am now mapping
out the independance trail in my dream time , it still follows the same route
and stops for lunch in the junction but hopefully will be less stressful on me
and my lovely partner.
Some of my dumbest mistakes and falls were acheived by
taking the independance trail without a plan and I'm done hurting US by bulling
into stuff without thinking. I did enough of that before and since stroke time
and I am setting out these days as a more seasoned traveller , one with new
priorities , new destinations an appreciation for the inability to do so and a
very full heart , good luck on the road fellow travellers , see you for lunch
at the junction.Phil
No comments:
Post a Comment