About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Theme Park

June 14/15


Strength , for me it was always a strong back that I counted on , used it as a part of my identity , it helped friends move , helped endure ridiculous work pressures and it paid the bills for a long time while the brain took a nap , I lost several bits of my identity when I entered this stroke survivor theme park .

 The way I used to look , my voice my tools for coping , a big guy with a guitar always in his hand was me , the guitar a part of my look as well as the sound of my voice . Oh there's still strength in here somewhere, but the drawer that I used to keep it in is empty, the landscape of the place my brain exists, is different, it’s alien and weird. There’s an actor in a lizard suit holding a nasty looking prop boulder made of styrofoam over his head behind those rocks over there and none of my stuff is where I left it! The docs believe that during the stroke apocalypse there was scarring, a lot of bombed out rubble that includes the place in my grey matter where I kept the part that informs me when to be hungry and or thirsty. Now this is a drawer I kept open for a long time, stood in front of it for hours whining that "I'm hungry"! and there's nothing to eat (trust me I always found something I just want to look like Phil again (////I’m not asking for Brad Pitt here) and to sound the way I want to sound . a big throaty loud Les Paul sound and to feel like me , I can’t bring myself to ask to be just like I was before , I was a poster boy for stroke awareness , a hair trigger waiting for the big bang and as much as I would love to have all the answers my dear fellow survivors. 

 It occurs to me as I sit here typing with my one finger that it is not for me to point your way on this rocky path , but to hold out my hand and step onto the trail at your side , let’s explore this alien place together , make a list of where we find all our stuff , let’s face it , we were comfy with it being where we left it but it didn’t do us all that much good back then, I will try to keep up and carry my share but I'm having strength issues , if it concerns you just look for Dar , if she's with me I'm strong enough we'll be ok . watch out for the "gorn" behind that rock over there, I'll try to warn you about the obstacles and confusion and along the way , like I am now we may learn a thing or 2 about letting go of what was and embracing your new Brad Pitt , getting used to how he thinks and sounds , if the building blocks were solid the new guy will probably do alright and if your new guy is in a place with a purple sky rocking a lizard mask and a fake boulder we're gonna be meeting real soon , ... beam me up Scotty...McCoy out

No comments:

Post a Comment