About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

June 25/15



I had the opportunity to meet someone today who had been in a terrible accident and come out of the fog with no memory at all eventually regaining some of the long term. 

I was reminded of the most frustrating aspect of brain injury for me , the loss of a part of one's self to the extent that I have and still do suffer through bouts of lonliness.

 Yes thats right , as ridiculous as it sounds I can feel like I miss myself , the ways I felt and acted and reacted for over 50 yearsone reason why despite my ranting to the contrary I will continue to keep an eye out for the ol Phil , he was too stubborn and opinionated to just go away because he was told or expected to.

 I've gone on about this subject several times and obviously have a great deal to add so if any of you out there in the blasted brain landscape have more to throw into the mix please do , or any questions that the doctors have explained and you feel left with the deep seated need for a grumpy old bastard's opinion , send them to me , would be glad to give one of the rarest of resources out there , information . 

oh , I tried to pump them all , docs , therapists , nurses , saying,"I know you can't predict what will happen next but , I assume you have been at your job for quite a while and that you are good at it , so based on your opinion how do you see this playing out ?"  Never worked for me , but an unexpected visit one day from a fellow survivor and member of a stroke awareness group gave me a wonderful gift , info !!! 

 "
hey, your hand looks loose , at least its not clenched like mine was " or , "my leg was the same but look at me now " (not even a cane ! it was phenomenal , actual knowledge , the absense tf the old chestnut "well that's very common in stroke victims , but everyone is different " BS , SO IF i CAN HELP ANY RAYS OF INSIGHT FIND THEIR WAY THROUGH THE MIST i'D BE HAPPY TO DO SO , iI've done my time in the prison of frustration and I prefer the light too . It is gonna get better , maybe only because you will be tougher from the battle but you figured it all out as a baby , with a new brain that was fresh out of the package , still had that new brain smell ) , so you are already well on your way to re-training it. so let me know , the best thing I heard in my hospital time came from someone saying just what I am now , just ask , being helped changed me , maybe it's contagious.

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment