About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Good Morning Strokeland!!!

June 13/15


My brain, the traitorous thing was once a master of sending signals, mostly regarding getting me out of trouble (trouble that the damned thing had gotten me into) but the radio station at brain central is dark and quiet now, lights are off, the transmitter torn down, the turntable is still playing a good old Zeppelin tune, but the wires are cut, the signals being sent to my limbs are getting scrambled badly along the way. and feedback signals coming back from the limbs (etc.are doing the same thing , the airwaves are a mess ! 

Once , during a physio session , standing in a hospital hallway I was trying to walk , I signalled the left leg to take a step it did so , the leg must have a big antenna (I tell people it's big anyway.) , I moved the cane in my right hand into an advanced position , all good so far and the signal came through to head office , leg and cane in position "we are secure" , the signal was amazingly clean everything I had sent out was accomplished as commanded and the airwaves were Chrystal clear , it was so wonderfully alien to me , it was a blow to my damaged brain that systems were still operating somewhere , an emotional moment for me certainly.

 Since then and up until that moment , I had and have been bombarded with a barrage of angry static all the time , 24/7 , angry tingling and miscommunication the only thing playing on that previously clear channel was angry painful static still is . I found the off switch the other night while exploring my new hemp based treatment , the static , like the pain was shut down , the constant loud blast of garbled signal was silent , blissfully silent , it was so relaxing so different . and here I am climbing back up on this horse again , going on about pot but I my friends am convinced , sold , on the bandwagon , hungry for a brownie , on a course that the professionals I sought out didn’t suggest , it was my wife , who has never attended medical school , the girl that solved the mysterious medication allergy I had since the stroke , who prodded me to free myself from the grip of the pain (and the static), so I aint gonna shut up anytime soon , I am sending out this signal to you dear survivor , to let you know that other stations are on the air , as frustrated as you are , just as hungry for a clear reply and I'll keep broadcasting , hope it’s getting to you out there...signing off for now Phil.



No comments:

Post a Comment