About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Tuesday, 21 July 2015

GOT A BEAT UP SIX STRING , AT THE SECOND HAND STORE.

GOT A BEAT UP SIX STRING , AT THE SECOND HAND STORE................the year 2000 , a magical gateway to a new century , video phones and flying cars and where would I be , as a child I thought about this in some detail. how old will I be in 2000?? On the doorway of 40 (that's pretty damned old!! , "what will I look like? I had mental images of a dashingly handsome man, never imagining a wheelchair pirate. "what will I do for a living?" , rock star of course!"who will I marry?" a wonderful woman able to balance a rock star marriage , a family , a career at victoria's secret "will I have kids"?yup , smart serious ones , not rock band hooligans !, robot servants , you know George Jetson with long hair. I wondered about these things and although fame eluded me and the jack sparrow on wheels thing happened , I did realize some of it , a house full of guitars , a beautiful wife who rolls her eyes at the suggestion of lingerie modelling , my kids are brilliant and well adjusted musical hooligans , no robots , no flying cars no jetsons. while my young brain pondered these many questions I did already have some future info, I knew exactly what I wanted my voice to sound like , like a big throaty guitar , a beat up ol Les Paul of a voice and I spent the next few decades training that voice , learning to speak with my hands , building my vocabulary , the guitar helping me survive the rigors of teenage existance , my psychiatrist in a case , it was a part of my identity , my soul , my value, giving voice to the tumbling emotions within and then 2014 , in a moment just inside the entryway of the shining new Jetson century it was taken from me , 45 years of training snatched away , the conduit to me feelings my identity , my voice , floating out there in strokeland somewhere, I would usually refer to the years learning to play in a more lyrical way like "the struggle or walking the path " but I was just a selfish , brooding kid who wanted to be very loud, July 2014 was when the stroke (not the struggle ) happened, it was another thing I put in alot of time working on , I earned what happened to me.my left side was paralyzed taking my ability to walk and play away from me, my voice was paralyzed and I found myself thinking alot about the friends who fell on the path to our future stardom , almost envying the way their journeys were cut so short and so finally , mine however still lives , packed away in a trunk in the attic of my damaged brain and covered in dust but the desire , the want , the notes and lyrics are still firing on all cylinders , but my ability to make them surface and breathe is gone.   I'm up the creek with a paralyzed paddle. I can't play vicariously through my kids , they are all moving out and onward and the only hand I have left is the one I spent years training to open beers and raise the middle finger in salute , the need to express this part of my self is such that my beautiful wife who has no interest in playing guitar at all , recently took on re-stringing one of the many axes around here from right hand to left so that I could attempt to use my right hand only to hammer on the neck and make my soul healing noise "important note to any kids out there , when picturing that future wife , go for love over lingerie , courage over corsets"...better yet , go for both ! and so here I sit a less than dashing pirate on wheels right back to where I was at 8 years old , wanting desperately to play guitar , to sound that way , loud , raw and pure, mean and throaty, bright and soaring , so if you come across me out there my fellow wanderers along side a dilapidated former highway in a battered and dusty old limo , a long haired skeleton in back grinning away , surrounded by lingerie and implants , dont tell me , I dont meed to know , just blow the dust off the old cherry burst and crack open that dusty bottle of jack.....play on my friends it can vanish in a split second....GO LOUD !!!!..Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment