About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Simple Tasks

I was raised to be among other things "useful". Simple tasks like "Phil, get my friends and I some beers" or: Phil, run up to the store and get mom and I some cigarettes”. I was given a wristwatch and instructed as to its use to both know the correct time and date but to be useful when someone asked for this information. like kids today I had access to a mobile phone , that were all over the place housed in 7 foot tall lighted booths with an enclosed set of instructions and a huge contacts list. I also had an on board GPS called a memory that helped me find my way back home but to again be useful in case a complete stranger needed directions in the area.

 Along with these tools I received the information about the importance of punctuality, as a way to be helpful, as a way to show politeness and to show respect to those who had granted you an appointment. I was expected to be useful in other ways as well. to cut the lawn and to shovel the driveway as well as those belonging to my neighbours when they connected with ours and I was expected to do these things punctually and for the same reasons. 

I have mentioned all of this because it helps to give weight to one of the most arduous struggles of late. before being struck down by stroke I was essentially a useful human, I was always available to do my best when work called me, I shovelled , I mowed not quite as punctually as I was trained to , but with the same quality of work , I did household repairs , again in a more procrastinating way,, but I was Useful ... I am now in a place where I must do the unthinkable, I have to ask for help , to depend on others to accomplish simple tasks .

 I die a bit inside when my wife comes to bed sore from shovelling or raking . I even have trouble answering questions like " do you want to do something, because I am incapable of accomplishing it without assistance, I need help to do things I have essentially done alone for 50ish years I am fighting against not only who I was for so long but of how I (feel I should be and even how I was raised. It is difficult. I struggle with it and I will win. I will never let this be all I am, I WILL ONCE AGAIN BE USEFUL. .I have included a photo of myself cleverly taken with a mobile phone of me and one of the mobile phones of my youth , in a nasty little bit of irony I had to call my wife and ask her to help me post the picture...sigh , back to rant later , Phil




No comments:

Post a Comment