About Us

My photo
When one partner suffers a stroke; life is turned upside down, but when you have both partners who have been struck with a serious illness; it can be a devastating blow I was the first one at 47 years of age to suffer with what doctors call a series of thunderclap migraines which resulted in a bleed on the right side of my brain a Cerebral Hemorrhage). After a long series of tests, MRI's, and CT scans, the doctors referred to my "stroke" as "Call Fleming Syndrome"; The date was November 19, 2011. I will never forget that day. Then on July 29, 2014 Phil at 53 was struck down with a massive stroke which resulted in a bleed in the (Basal Ganglia) this was a day that dampened what was the beginning of a joyous summer ;( we had two sons marry Nick in June and Cory in July) This blog voices Phil's experiences on learning to live and walk again. We hope to share our story , experiences, frustrations, and how we have had to struggle, but at the same time still find joy in being together and being alive will help others not only find hope but better understand what a stroke is and steps to take to help avoid one. Each day we find new reasons to get up and do it all again.

Friday, 26 June 2015

Twice in the Attic

June 23/15



This morning’s journey into the long dark hallway of my mind begs the question , "which door will I try today , let's open one up and see what's waiting inside ; hmmm this is a room full of acceptance.  I knew this place existed , know I have been there before but I can't remember when .

 I recall with vivid detail being told I'd had a stroke I knew when I headed to hospital , when I woke with the numbness , I was told about the paralysis , about what was still working and what was not , but I am lost when I try to re-visit where and when I came to accept it . I recall the detailed dreams in hospital of my old fiercely independent brain , "I'm not staying here , my bank card and bus pass must still be in my jeans pocket , I'll walk off this wing , I know where there's a bank machine and a phone , I am outta here , I remember a series of dreams that had the room I was in being in my home and trying to get out of bed to head down to my bathroom to pee .

 I also remember the moment that my disability reared its head in my dreams , reality kicked in the door of my escape place and set up a command center , that moment was truly as devastating as the moment that I was told of my limitations , I was at one of my kids weddings and had to walk to the front of the room when a voice interrupted fantasy land and informed me that I needed a wheelchair or at least a cane or I would fall and be humiliated , as would my family , new and old . perhaps , and I can hear one of you out there saying it now , I still have not accepted things the way they are , I like that , too stubborn and tough to let Mr. stroke win one . 


This condition has been bringing forward several bouts of rebellion, while in hospital I refused to shave my face for 5 months, I have no clue where the first sprouts of rebel attitude grew from, lately it is my hair that I don’t want cut, no idea why, if I remember properly long hair was a pain in the ass, but I guess it makes me feel I have retained a tiny spot in the control room again. 

My hand is that much closer to the wheel and when the ship kicks into high gear and takes a crazy "what is this guy? nuts !" turn you can rest assured that Elvis is back in the building and captain stubing , gopher , and the shuffleboard equipment are floating in our wake somewhere . since I have no idea of where I may have encountered the point of acceptance I choose to take the path of badass , and say I know one tells me what I can and can't do , I feel that this stance is cool but not particularly healthy and I hear the angelic Dar in the background saying that I have to accept to move ahead , I guess that is so , she's never wrong , so I'll work on it but I will accept rebelliously and so when someday we meet fellow survivor I will probably have both a cane and a pony tail , somewhere between badass and dumbass.  Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment